The SMAANZ Board is delighted to announce the city of Adelaide and the School of Management, University of South Australia, as the hosts of the 2018 SMAANZ Conference.
The conference will be held 21-23 November 2018, with academic and meeting sessions held at the University of SA City West Campus in the CBD. The conference will feature a closing dinner held at the iconic Adelaide Oval. The organising committee will be led by Dr Ian O’Boyle, Senior Lecturer in Sport Management at University of South Australia and supported by the School of Management Faculty including Dr Jamie Cleland, Dr Duncan Murray, and Dr Sarah Chua.
Dr Ian O’Boyle welcomes the 24th SMAANZ Conference to the city, the first time it will be held in Adelaide.
“We are extremely excited to host the 2018 SMAANZ conference in Adelaide, and at the School of Management at University of South Australia. Adelaide is a vibrant city with a rich sporting culture and is an ideal venue for the conference. Planning is already underway to provide an exciting academic and social program and we look forward to showcasing our great city and welcoming sport management academics from around the globe to the University of South Australia.”
SMAANZ President Clare Hanlon adds: “Adelaide provides the perfect location to conduct our 24th conference. We are excited to collaborate with Ian and his colleagues from the University of South Australia. The conference will strengthen academic and industry links and promote scholarly enquiry in sport management and related disciplines to existing and new members. During the conference we look forward to the sport management community coming together, collegiality, and the curiosity, knowledge, evidence, and diversity of people and opinion”.
SMAANZ also acknowledges the support of the Adelaide Convention Bureau in the process to bring the conference to Adelaide. Please share this news with your networks and promotion will continue over 2017-18. The call for papers and further information will follow in early 2018.
SMAANZ 2018 Conference dates:
- Wednesday 21th November – HDR Day/Social Activities and Evening Welcome Function
- Thursday 22th November – Day 1
- Friday 23th November – Day 2 and Closing Dinner
MORE INFORMATION ON THE CONFERENCE AND ADELAIDE, SOUTH AUSTRALIA:
- The range of accommodation available to delegates within walking distance of central Adelaide, the proposed conference and function venues is extensive, with over 50 3-5 star hotels in the CBD.
- Adelaide International Airport is a 10 minute drive from Adelaide CBD with public transport readily available. The airport has direct flights to and from all Australian capital cities and also with Auckland in New Zealand. Flights to and from Europe will require a minimum of two flights and likewise to and from North America.
- South Australia is a world famous destination for wine and food tourism with some of the best wineries in Australia located between 30 and 45 minutes from the CBD (Adelaide hills, McLaren Vale, and Barossa Valley). There are also numerous quality golf courses in and around Adelaide and a golf day can be arranged as part of the conference for interested attendees.