Sponsored by Elsevier
The purpose of the SMAANZ Best Conference Paper Award is to support three of the purposes of SMAANZ: (1) encourage scholarly inquiry in sport management; (2) provide a forum to present and communicate results of sport management related research; and, (3) enhance the application of management theory to the sports context. It is specifically intended to encourage scholars to develop a paper for later submission to Sport Management Review (SMR).
Conditions of Award
- The SMAANZ Best Conference Paper Award is open to any applicant whose abstract has been accepted for the SMAANZ Conference and who intends to register and present at the SMAANZ Conference.
- The paper cannot be under consideration for publication in or have been submitted to a journal for publication or have been previously presented at a conference.
- The paper must be a full paper and the paper must be written in accordance with the instructions to authors for SMR.
- Reviewers’ comments (which are for the Award Committee only) are not expected to be as detailed for a normal manuscript review. No feedback or comments shall be given to the applicants.
- The winner must attend and present their paper at the SMAANZ conference in the year of the Award and will normally be expected to submit their work for review in SMR.
- The award will consist of a $2000 and a certificate presented at the SMAANZ Conference.
- The panel reserve the right not to grant a ‘best paper’ award if they deem submissions are not up to the expected standard
Application Timeline and Submission
- Submission: Applicants will need to provide a copy of their paper directly to the Chair of the Best Conference Paper Award Committee.
- The best paper award submission is open to any conference attendee that has had their conference abstract accepted. Submissions for the best paper award will be reopened in 2018.
- The chair is the SMR editor; one other member is appointed by the SMAANZ board from among board members; the chair appoints the other committee member from the SMR editorial board.
- These members will be ineligible to apply whilst they serve on the Committee.
- The Committee will receive applications for the Best Conference Paper Award.
- The chair will recommend a recipient to the SMAANZ Board for final approval.
- The Award Committee/Board reserves the right not to confer the award in any given year.
- All applications will be assessed in confidence.
- The recipient will be recognized at the SMAANZ Conference and must attend in person to accept the award.