The 2019 SMAANZ Conference will be held 4-6 December 2019 in Christchurch, and hosted by the University of Canterbury. Further conference details will be posted in April. SMAANZ 2019 Call for Abstracts are now open, and will close on 28 June 2019.
SMAANZ 2019 Key dates
- 28 June – Deadline for abstract submission
- 30 June – Deadline for grants and awards submission
- 30 September – Early Bird registration closes
There will be no extensions on the above deadlines.
SMAANZ 2019 – Call for Abstracts
On behalf of the Sport Management Association of Australia and New Zealand and the University of Canterbury, we invite you to submit an abstract and attend SMAANZ 2019 in Christchurch, New Zealand. The conference will take place from 4-6 December 2019.
In addition to academic and educational interests in sustainability, resilience, and the significance of the tourism and service economy, the city of Christchurch and wider region has a vibrant sport culture and community. In line with Christchurch’s ongoing recovery and rebirth, the theme of the conference is “Love and Peace: Managing sport for a better future”. We believe the theme is extremely relevant and important, in light of not only the tragic events in Christchurch recently, but also the increasingly turbulent world.
We welcome abstracts on a broad range of topics including:
- Management, leadership, governance and marketing of sport,
- Sport development,
- Impacts of sport,
- Sport tourism, places, events and facilities,
- Sport and culture,
- Connecting the world through sport.
For the 2019 conference we are also specially inviting abstracts related to research in the context of the wider Pacific region including Asia.
Diverse methodological and theoretical approaches are encouraged, as well as papers with an applied or action focus that may be of particular interest to industry. Various abstract types related to completed or in-progress research are welcome, including empirical, methodological, conceptual, and teaching. All abstracts submitted for presentation at the conference must report on original research that has not previously been presented or published.
Two types of presentation will take place at SMAANZ 2019:
- Oral Presentations (20 minutes)
- “Enlightening Talks” (6 minutes, 40 seconds)
Enlightening Talks will be PechaKucha format (i.e., 20 slides advancing automatically on a timer).
Please also note that various awards are available in conjunction with this conference – stay tuned for further details.
- Word Document, one page maximum, 12 point Arial font, single spacing, no figures/tables
- Include the full names of author(s) and institutional affiliation
- In-text citations, but NO reference list
- Authors may not appear on more than two abstracts, with the exception of student supervisors who should be identified as such.
- At least one author for each abstract accepted must register for the full conference and present their paper in person.
Abstracts should be attached to an email and sent to SMAANZ2019@canterbury.ac.nz
All submissions will be considered for an oral presentation by default. Please indicate if you would like your presentation to be considered for an Enlightening Talk as well.
All abstracts will be subjected to a blind review on relevance to sport management; use of literature; clarity of purpose; use of appropriate methods and data analysis (if relevant); quality of discussion; and contribution to knowledge. Review and subsequent notification of decision will be carried out as abstracts are received.
Awards & Grants
The SMAANZ Board encourage you to consider submitting an application for one of the available SMAANZ awards or grants or nominating a colleague for the Distinguished Service Award. The deadline for submission is 30th June, 2019. There will be no extensions on this deadline.
For submission requirements and further details about each award and grant, please refer to the following links below:
- Distinguished Service Award
- Best Conference Paper Award
- Student Research Award
- Student Travel Assistance
- Industry Engagement Grant
2021 SMAANZ- Expression of Interest
The SMAANZ Board is inviting Expressions of Interest from Australian Universities to host the 2021 SMAANZ conference. If further detail regarding hosting the 2021 SMAANZ conference is required, please contact Michael Naylor.
The expressions of interest will be assessed by the SMAANZ Board on the following selection criteria:
- Experience in managing academic conferences
- Experience in managing academic paper collection, distribution and return for the reviewing process
- Track record of successful conferences and host University support
- Track record in obtaining sponsorship
- Range of services and ancillary events provided